5.29.2015

Ellie's Birth Story

It is about time I write out Ellie's birth story before the lack of sleep makes me forget all of the details!

If you don't want to read a birth story I would stop right here. 

Since Will was a c-section I had two options: VBAC or repeat c-section. I knew that a scheduled c-section would be a lot easier than an emergency c-section, but I still vividly remembered the pain and did not want to go that route again. We decided to try to VBAC. Because of my previous c-section  my doctor could not induce me, and I could only carry Ellie to 41 weeks (why on earth would I want to be pregnant longer than that in August!!). 

The last few weeks of my pregnancy I left every doctors visit in tears or close to tears. My body was doing nothing, and I was still pregnant. Scheduling that repeat c-section was looming. I was measuring small those last few weeks. Apparently I only grow babies to a certain size, haha. Nonna came to Memphis to help with Will. My doctor finally suggested that we go ahead and pick a date just in case we needed to schedule a c-section. We picked August 19. 

August 18: I cried ALL morning. I desperately wanted to go into labor. At the same time I was feeling sad for Will. He was about to have his world rocked, and I had no idea how he would react. I tried to stop my tears and plan a fun day for Will. It was kind of funny to have people ask me when I was due and see their face when I said "she'll be here tomorrow". Remember I was measuring small so to most people I didn't look like I was overdue! That day I started having some random contractions. That night my mom got into town. I was still having contractions so we decided to go for a walk after Matt and I put Will down for bed. My mom and I walked up and down the street as my contractions started to develop a pattern. It wasn't nearly as cold as when Matt and I walked that same street when I was in "labor" with Will. Unfortunately, it was the same labor I had with Will. It was going no where. Contractions would get closer together just to space out again. A few times I wondered if we should head to the hospital, but I knew there was no point. My mom sat with me until pretty late, and I decided to go shower and head to bed since I had to wake up in a few hours. I didn't get any sleep since I was having contractions on and off all night. 

August 19: Still pregnant. We had to check into the hospital really early. When we were checking in the lady at the desk realized I was having contractions and was curious about why I didn't come in sooner. We got to our room and settled in. We had to answer a million questions and sign papers. The nurse was going through a bunch of questions about my history and asked if I had a history of sickle cell. We all got a chuckle out of that. We met with the anesthesiologist and told him about our history with Will which made me start to cry. Oh I forgot to mention I had been trying so hard to get rid of my cold I caught from Will (c-sections and coughing don't mix). I was a sniffling mess. My doctor came in and realized I was having contractions. She asked if I wanted her to check me before we headed out for the c-section. I was really hoping it would be good news. I was at 1 cm...maybe 1.5 cm. She said I should probably have the c-section and she didn't think I was actually in labor. We decided for many reasons to just go ahead with the c-section. This time Matt was getting to gown up. I had a pretty rough time on the way to the OR. All of the traumatic memories of racing down that hallway and leaving Matt behind started coming back, and I couldn't stop the tears. Once we got into the room the anesthesiologist started my spinal tap. Matt was still in the hallway for this. I didn't realize there would be a loud noise during the spinal tap and I jumped. After it was administered and I was laying back down the anesthesiologist was pinching me to see if I could still feel certain spots. I was less than thrilled with him, and we both became frustrated. He told my doctor I was hypersensitive which made me very angry, because I am a pretty tough person and I was only answering his questions. FINALLY he went to go get Matt. After that there was a lot of pressure and then a wonderfully, loud cry. It was amazing getting to be awake and see my sweet baby girl. We went to recovery awhile later, and I got to feed Ellie for the first time. She knew what she was doing!

We are so blessed to have this sweet, little red head in our family. Our hearts just explode with love for her.



















*At my six week post op appointment my OB actually told me I had a teeny, tiny pelvis and there was no way I wouldn't have ended up with a c-section. Good thing we went with that c-section! So thankful God was watching over us!


No comments:

Post a Comment