1.15.2018

What's in a Name?

I started this post forever ago...

This post is all about how Claire got her name. It wasn't easy. It caused me a lot of stress. I'm somewhat of a planner. I'm not very organized, but I like to plan. Before we had children Matt and I had four names picked out for our future babies. Two girl names and two boy names. Because obviously we were going to have two girls and two boys. Hahaha! The names were William Michael, Eleanor Reese, Matthew Lucas (Luke), and Anna Hayden.

Will's name was by far the easiest. While I was pregnant with Ellie, Matt and I had a conversation one day about maybe switching from Ellie to Anna Hayden for our first girl. I tried. But I just knew she was an Ellie. Soooo....third pregnancy, second girl...Anna Hayden. Nope. Again, I just had a feeling that wasn't her name. I love the name Anna Hayden, but I wanted her to go by Anna Hayden and already people were shortening her name to just Anna. It just didn't feel right.

Matt was not on board with changing the name from Anna Hayden at first. We tried so many names. We even agreed on a few and then changed our minds again. We each made lists and vetoed names we didn't like. I know a lot of people that don't name their babies until they meet them...which is great and so sweet, but not me AT ALL! I'm a planner after all. Our biggest problem was that Ellie is a nickname for a lot of names. It also knocked a lot of names off the list because they sounded too similar to Ellie. Example: I liked Everly or Emerson but Evie or Emmy would be pretty close to Ellie. So we knew we needed to switch gears. Claire was actually on my list, but Matt said no.

Awhile later he told me that he had a dream the night before that we named the baby Claire. We had been trying out names on my ever growing bump so we said lets try it (this was after I yelled at him saying he had vetoed that name and grabbed my list to in fact show him that he had vetoed it). Later that day I texted Matt while he was at work with the following story: We were playing outside with chalk, and Ellie came up and sat beside me. She was loving on my belly and said "I love you, baby Care". Matt responded with "So I guess we have our name?". Yes. There was no going back at that point. Not after hearing that sweet voice talk to her baby sister. Swoon. Problem solved.

Not so fast! We still had to think of a middle name. We decided since the girls would both have classic first names that Claire needed a more edgy middle name to match Ellie's middle name (Reese). I must have looked at a million names, pinterest, and google searches. Then one morning around 4 am (thanks to my pregnancy insomnia) I found it! Collins. Claire Collins. Finally we had our name and there was no going back! She is definitely a Claire. And when she's in trouble- Claire Collins. We love you Baby Care.




Photo credit: http://www.sunshinephotographybyrachel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment