April is a busy month for our family. My nephew, Ben, was born April 5. My birthday is April 7. My mom's birthday is April 28. And then it was time for Miss Claire to join the April birthday club. My mom came into town and we spent the day doing last minute things and celebrating her birthday. Mary was in town also. We were so lucky to have both of our moms here to help with Will and Ellie so we did not have any worries while we were meeting and bonding with Claire. While my mom and I were out shopping I got a call from a nurse telling me that they had to move my c-section time from early in the morning to early afternoon. I'm sure I was not very pleasant to talk to, but my crazy hormonal self was pretty upset knowing that I was going to be starving and thirsty since I couldn't have food or water after 4am. It ended up being okay, because I got to spend some more time with Will and Ellie in the morning before heading to the hospital.
The Big Day: It was finally time to head to the hospital. We were so ready to meet Claire. I was nervous about the surgery, obviously, but just trying to focus on getting my hands on that baby girl. We got checked in and settled in our room. Our nurses were amazing. I'm convinced Labor and Delivery nurses are angels on earth.
Finally it was time to head to the OR. This is when I usually start having a really hard time. My doctor told the anesthesiologist that I had a bit of PTSD from Will's birth. He was great, and said I was doing just fine. My doctor stood in front of me and held me while they did the spinal tap. It wasn't as scary as it was with Ellie. I remember there being a ton of pressure. I wasn't feeling very well because my blood pressure was low so the anesthesiologist gave me something to bring it back up. Then sooooo much pressure and she was here! Such a loud scream. Matt brought her to me so I could see her. This was the first time Matt got to help cut the cord. Matt stayed with Claire while they gave me a block to help with the pain and "put me back together". I was in and out of it and so tired.
Claire Collins
April 29, 2016 at 1:20 pm
8lbs 7oz and 21 in
Finally, it was time to go to the recovery room and hold Claire. She nursed right away. The nurse stayed in our room with us for two hours to keep an eye on Claire and me. At one point I got really nauseous. Of course Matt and the nurse happened to be changing Claire's diaper so she was trying to direct Matt to the bags so I didn't throw up everywhere. I was able to take some deep breaths and not throw up after all of that drama. Throwing up after a c-section would be so painful. After that we spent the day bonding with Claire and being completely amazed that she weighed 8 lbs 7 oz! No wonder I could barely walk before she was born!! Our moms brought Will and Ellie to come visit and meet Claire. They were so sweet with her.
The nurses took such great care of us. I think the worst part was when my block wore off. This was the first time I got a block and while it really helped it was terrible when it wore off. My pain felt almost off the charts, and I was sobbing. Matt and I quickly called the nurse and she was able to give me some more pains meds after making sure nothing scary was happening. I also had a really hard time peeing for the first time and almost passed out. The nurse yelled some code and another nurse came rushing in with a wheel chair. Somehow I didn't pass out, and the nurse thanked me for saving her some paperwork. Haha.
Before we knew it, it was time to go home. Matt is always ready to bust out of the hospital. I on the other hand am always nervous. It is much easier when you have someone monitoring your meds and monitoring the baby.
Claire is just the perfect addition to our family, and we love her so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment